The Premier League is coming towards its conclusion for another whirlwind season, though that’s not to say we’re any wiser as to who will finish where this season.
The Premier League title race is currently separated by one point, whilst the final relegation place is only separated by two points to the two teams above 18th-placed Everton.
There is also the tense race for the top four, which will book those sides a place in the Champions League next season, bringing in extra revenue and the ability to attract high-profile players.
There’s only a five point gap between Chelsea in third and Tottenham in fifth, meaning the race is still on for three sides to claim two places.
While Chelsea currently hold all the cards, their poor form as of late has seen their lead cut by the sides below them.
The most recent example was a lacklustre defeat at Everton, where Thomas Tuchel was not happy with his side.
“Very disappointed,” the manager said after the match.
“We knew what was coming, and like in the last matches, we struggled to have clean sheets. In the last four matches, we have one clean sheet against West Ham, and it is the only win we have. So very disappointed.”
“Following closely behind in fourth are Arsenal, who earned victory over West Ham to move within three points of the Blues and managed to reclaim fourth from Tottenham. Discussing the race for top four, Mikel Arteta said:”Well, mathematically everything is open so, we’re going to have to go to Leeds and win again because everybody is going to put pressure because everybody wants to play in the position that we are right now.
“We have to handle that and we have a great opportunity and that willingness and motivation that we have is driving us to continue to do something.” One challenge they face before the end of the season will be Spurs in a North London derby, a fixture that could decide the top four.
Antonio Conte ‘s men, despite a slip in recent weeks, returned to winning ways themselves at the weekend, keeping that gap within a one game swing at two points.
For all three clubs, given the extra revenue and appeal of the competition, Champions League qualification could be crucial to their respective projects.
Football predictors FiveThirtyEight have taken a look at the potential outcomes for the season and have added the percentages of sides qualifying for the Champions League for the three sides.
Despite their dip in form, they still have Chelsea as all but confirmed for qualification, with over 99% chance of finishing in the top four.
Arsenal are current favourites out of the remaining two, with a 70% chance, while Spurs only have 30% in their favour.
It shows how the balance is tilted heading into the final four games.
As the past few weeks have shown, there are plenty of twists and turns that could be had. Whether it ends as predicted remains to be seen, but there are some big games coming up for all three sides.